The Green Mountain Boys or Rangers, from the staunch hills of Vermont and New Hampshire, appeared as a group of volunteers under John Stark at Cambridge, Massachusetts, in June 1775, to fight desperately in the Battle of Bunker Hill. A month earlier, led by Ethan Allen and Seth Warner, they had taken Ticonderoga and Crown Point. After participating the ill-fated invasion of Canada, they returned, few in number, to be recruited again, still under one of their indomitable leaders, to rout the Hessians of Burgoyne at Bennington. Presented by McLain T. O’Ferrall, in memory of his grandfather Charles T. O’Ferrall, former governor of Virginia.
In September, 1775, two strong floating batteries were launched on the Charles River, Massachusetts, and in the following month opened fire on the British in Boston. The ensign used was a pine tree flag with the words “Appeal to Heaven”. Presented by Matilda H. Spessard and Rutherford H. Spessard, Jr. in memory of Rutherford Houston Spessard.
(The Third) Is a replica of the original now mounted in Philadelphia. This may at one time been the flag of the 1st Connecticut whose colours were yellow. It bears the numeral 1. Colonel Webb served on General Washington’s staff. This flag, and those numbered through 28, were presented by John D. Rockefeller, Jr., an honorary member of the Virginia Society.
Is similar to most of the French Regimental Colours of the period. All had the White Greek Cross. The cantons were of varying colours. The Regiment was at Savannah. Later, at Yorktown, together with the Deux-Ponts Regiment, it stormed the 9th redoubt in a night attack.
Was white, as were all French Headquarters Flags. Within the last quarter-century, research as shown the flag was not plain white. There were Fleur-de-lis in the corners with the royal arms in the center. Rochambeau was the French King’s Commander-In-Chief in America.
The Deux-Ponts Regiment was from the Saar and not from France proper. Its personnel were Bavarians of the Palatinate. It was commanded by Count Deux-Ponts at Yorktown. Lt. Col. Viscount De Deux-Ponts of this regiment commanded the attack on redoubt No. 9 with his troops and those from the Gatinois Regiment.
This regiment was organized by Colonel Gansevoort after the Canadian expedition in 1776. The regiment held the Mohawk Valley and was one of the continental regiments that moved to Yorktown. The flag was the basis for the current New York state flag. The motto “Excelsior” means “Higher” or “loftier”.
Of Colonel William Washington’s Cavalry. Believed to have been carried Colonel Washington in 1781 at Cowpens and Eutaw Springs in personal encounter with Tarleton. Legend says the flag was hastily made by a lady admirer of Washington from a damask curtain. Presented by H. Marston Smith.